Fetch smartcard key from disk

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Tue Nov 18 15:13:54 CET 2008

On Nov 18, 2008, at 2:51 AM, ragnar12 at gmx.de wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a new user of the GnuPG Smartcard, and everything is working
> fine at my home :-)
>
> Now, I have the problem at my working place to fetch the public
> smartcard key from a webserver, because of the proxy settings at my
> office.
>
> So, i wonder if it possible to fetch a public smartcard key from the
> harddisk/stick. e.g. set the url to "file://C:\smartkey.asc"
>
> Or asking more generell, which protocolls are supported from "fetch"
> method?

It depends on whether you have built your GnuPG with libcurl or not.
Libcurl is a URL-fetching library that GnuPG can use to, well, fetch
URLs.  If you are using libcurl then yes, you can use 'file' URLs.  If
your GnuPG was not built with libcurl, the you can only use the 'http'
method.

The easiest way to tell if you have libcurl support is to try doing:

   gpg --fetch-keys file://C:\smartkey.asc

If it works, then you're all set.  If it doesn't work, then you might
try building your GnuPG with libcurl support.

David