gnupg compilation problems on Solaris 10 64 bit

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Sat Nov 22 00:01:19 CET 2008

David Shaw wrote:
> GnuPG has some assembler code for doing math on large numbers.  Every
> now and then a new platform has trouble with it until we tweak things.
> --disable-asm uses portable C code instead of the assembly.

What's the engineering reason for the ASM code as opposed to just
sticking with the C code?  It seems that for the vast majority of users,
there's no difference in performance between the C code and the
ASM-tuned code.  My guess (prejudice?) is that this would really only
make a big difference for high volume operations.