gnupg compilation problems on Solaris 10 64 bit

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Nov 24 09:26:16 CET 2008

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 02:06, rjh at sixdemonbag.org said:

> So wouldn't it make more sense to have --disable-asm be the default?
> The increase in portability seems to be a bigger win than shaving two

Although modern compilers generation quite good code, the asm code is
highly optimized for certain CPUs.  Unfortunately the code for ia32 CPUs
does not cope well with the majority of todays ia32 CPUs.  It is also
hard to replace that because you would need to optimize the code for a
certain CPU model and thus also means that the code selection needs to
be done at runtime and not at build time.

Still there are a lot of CPUs where asm code make a lot of difference,
for example the amd64 code we introduced in libgcrypt helped a lot to
make ZRTP (encrypted VoIP) usable on such boxes.  I guess the same holds
for some other architectures.

In many cases the problems come from a mixed toolchain like using gcc
along with the native asm.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner