About UIDs

Inamdar, Guruprasad gi185002 at ncr.com
Thu Oct 16 15:24:16 CEST 2008

I am sorry but I didn't get your last message.

1) I tried to import the key again (I deleted all the keyring files
first)

C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxx\Desktop>gpg --import newkey.asc
gpg: keyring `C:/Documents and Settings/xxxxxx/Application
Data/gnupg\secring.gpg' created
gpg: keyring `C:/Documents and Settings/xxxxxx/Application
Data/gnupg\pubring.gpg' created
gpg: key FBCFC5F9: secret key imported
gpg: key FBCFC5F9: no valid user IDs
gpg: this may be caused by a missing self-signature
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:           w/o user IDs: 1
gpg:       secret keys read: 1
gpg:   secret keys imported: 1

2) And now If I try to see it using gpg --list-secret-key. I can see it.

C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxx\Desktop>gpg --list-secret-key
gpg: C:/Documents and Settings/gi185002/Application
Data/gnupg\trustdb.gpg: trustdb created
C:/Documents and Settings/xxxxxx/Application Data/gnupg\secring.gpg
sec   1024R/FBCFC5F9 2008-10-06
uid                  vijay
ssb   1024R/BE7137CF 2008-10-06

3) But if I try to decrypt the file using my private key -

C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxx\Desktop>gpg --decrypt file.pgp
gpg: key FBCFC5F9: secret key without public key - skipped
gpg: encrypted with RSA key, ID FBCFC5F9
gpg: decryption failed: secret key not available

I know PGP can generate public key automatically if its missing from
keyring. Is there any option with GPG.

So Is there anything wrong with my key? And How can I use gpgsplit to
create public key.?