doc bug???

Morton D. Trace classpath at arcor.de
Thu Oct 30 05:19:07 CET 2008

Li wrote:
> Hello everyone
>
> I am totally a newcomer for gnupg, and I am reading the "The GNU Privacy
> Handbook", the version string is "$Name: v1_1 $".
>
> In the handbook, all command options is begin with one dash, like this
> "-gen-key"; but on my system these options begin with two dash, like
> this "--gen-key".
>
> So, this is bug or other something?
>
> OS: FreeBSD Release 7.0 p5

Dear Li

I use this one

gpg  --version
gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.8

man gpg    will do.

 --gen-key
          Generate a new key pair. This command is normally  only
          used interactively.

is my option from my man page,

http://www.gnupg.org/documentation/manuals/gnupg/

is the one I use

http://www.gnupg.org/documentation/manuals/gnupg/OpenPGP-Key-Management.html#OpenPGP-Key-Management
- --gen-key
    Generate a new key pair. This command is normally only used
interactively.

I did see some options i know I have to use with two dashes  which has
only one dash in the docu, but it is always better to try the man page or

 gpg  --help

Sincerely yours,

Morten Gulbrandsen

主バイトホイットフィールド
Java programmer, C++ programmer
CAcert Assurer, GSWoT introducer, thawte Notary
Gossamer Spider Web of Trust http://www.gswot.org
Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail!