CTB=55 cannot decrypt message from PGP 9 because of comment line

emnej at web.de emnej at web.de
Mon Sep 1 13:11:43 CEST 2008

This is my first message on the list and it immediately is a request for help ;-)

I used to use PGP with Pegasus Mail but switched my email system to Thunderbird + GnuPG + Enigmail. I often receive encrypted emails, from a variety of people. I have noticed that I regularly have the following problem:

When trying to decrypt a message that comes from someone with PGP 9, I get the following error:

gpg.exe --charset utf8  --batch --no-tty --status-fd 2 -d --passphrase-fd 0 --no-use-agent ,gpg: invalid radix64 character 3A skipped,gpg: invalid radix64 character 2E skipped,gpg: invalid radix64 character 2E skipped,gpg: invalid radix64 character 28 skipped,gpg: invalid radix64 character 29 skipped,gpg: invalid radix64 character 3A skipped,gpg: invalid radix64 character 2D skipped,gpg: CRC error; 188EB4 - 9C15D0,gpg: [don't know]: invalid packet (ctb=55)

PGP has no problems decrypting these messages. When I remove the comment lines inserted by PGP (e.g. Version: PGP Desktop 9.8.3 (Build 4028), GnuPG can also decrypt the messages without any problems.

My question is if there is a work around for this, or if there is an option that can be used so that the comment line does not interfere with the decryption.

Thank you for helping,

Erik