Passphrase storage (was Re: Protect pubring.gpg and secring.gpg)

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Fri Sep 5 23:00:22 CEST 2008

On Fri, Sep 05, 2008 at 04:46:25PM -0400, John W. Moore III wrote:
> Faramir wrote:
>
> > "TheEnterpriseIsTheBestSpaceship"
>
> FWIW, even with the quote marks left in place this would be foolish if
> folks know or think they know that You are a Trekkie.
>
> An Application that can be helpful in forming a passphrase is Diceware.
>  I don't have the Link handy but any Search Engine will display it in
> the Top Results.

http://www.diceware.com

Diceware does make an excellent passphrase, and I've found that people
can remember even the long ones... so long as there are only a few of
them to remember.  Past a certain point (and obviously that point
varies from person to person), you need some outside-of-your-brain way
to remember these things.

Out of curiousity, is anyone using one of the various passphrase
manager sort of programs?  Assuming they're implemented and used
correctly, they're not a bad solution for passphrase overload.

David