Someone has harvested my address

reynt0 reynt0 at cs.albany.edu
Wed Sep 10 21:29:03 CEST 2008

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008, Sven Radde wrote:
  . . .
> Am Montag, den 08.09.2008, 19:40 -0500 schrieb Robert J. Hansen:
>> The conversation we're not having, which I think we should be having, is
>> "how can we have trusted communications on a hostile network when we
>> don't know if we really control our own PCs?"
>
> I guess we're not having this discussion because the answer is trivial:
> "Not at all."
>
> Anyway, keep in mind that the "common" trojan does not target GnuPG
> key/traffic/passphrases, AFAIK. It's more about harvesting email
  . . .

I thought the original question was an interesting fundamental
question, in general and as concerns gnupg.  Is there some way
of identifying the
   { user - encryption - software - OS - hardware - any etc }
situation and components, where a way can be found to put the
parts together such that even if how you're doing it is
publicly known, and you are in very adverse conditions, you
can still communicate at a level of privacy/security you want?

If nothing else, just asking the question in different ways
in different contexts maybe will sometime somehow stimulate
someone to think a little differently and come up with some
improvements.  IMO, I suppose this hope may be inspired by
Public Key Encryption having been devised so cleverly, and
to my mind, unexpectedly.