Export secret key from WinXP (GnuPG) 1.4.7 to AIX PGP Version 6.5.8 gives Bad Pass Phrase

vedaal at hush.com vedaal at hush.com
Tue Sep 16 17:46:32 CEST 2008

rlively 72ceot902 at sneakemail.com wrote on
Tue Sep 16 16:08:25 CEST 2008 :

>so I decided to generate the keys on GnuPG
>on Windows and then export to the AIX server.
>I've tried it now multiple times with different keys,
>and each time I try to
>edit the key or decrypt something I get errors on AIX

pgp 6.5.8 is way behind many of the newer features of gnupg

the two main problems are:

[1] newer algorithms not included in 6.5.8
(AES, TWOFISH)

[2] newer secret-key protection

[3] insistence of using IDEA to encrypt to ANY RSA key (v3 or v4)
(even those generated without IDEA capability)

workaround:
use the following options in gnupg:

--simple-sk-checksum
--s2k-cipher-algo 3DES
--s2k-digest-algo SHA-1

then generate DH/DSA keypair in gnupg and import it to 6.5.8

then, for all further correspondence from gnupg to 6.5.8
just use the option --pgp6
and 6.5.8 should be able to decrypt and verify anything with that
DH/DSA key

vedaal

any ads or links below this message are added by hushmail without
my endorsement or awareness of the nature of the link

--
Enhance your home's curb appeal with name brand shutters. Click now.
http://tagline.hushmail.com/fc/Ioyw6h4dZri5qidhmJJYq1o89vVMUCNUzpxeFuQvf8IenacjHe183V/