Export secret key from WinXP (GnuPG) 1.4.7 to AIX PGP Version 6.5.8 gives Bad Pass Phrase

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Tue Sep 16 20:29:10 CEST 2008

David Shaw wrote:
>> What is the latest PGP version for Unix/AIX if not this one? How old is this
>> version?
>
> Mid-2000, I think.

Mid-1998, I think.  Mid-2000 is when PGP 7 came out.  PGP 6.5.8's date
of introduction was mid-to-late '98.

Following remarks are meant more for the original poster, rlively:

> No way to guess.  It's a segfault, so something is clearly very
> broken.  A sane program would print an error instead of crashing.

I'll go one step further and say it's a sign you shouldn't use PGP
6.5.8.  AIX has moved on in the last ten years; it's possible the C
runtime has moved on, too.  The segfault may be a problem with the PGP
6.5.8 code, or it may be a problem with the assumptions the code makes
about the C runtime, or it may be... etc., etc.

The fact it's segfaulting would cause me to harbor doubts about whether
it should be used in a security context.