GnuPG Defaults

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Wed Sep 17 07:51:57 CEST 2008

Kevin Hilton wrote:
> My gpg version contains far more capabilities (ie TWOFISH, BLOWFISH),
> than what was listed in the key.  Why were these not included in the
> "capability list"?

That's a question for David and/or Werner to answer.

For whatever it's worth, many people within the OpenPGP community would
really like to see a lot of algorithms go away.  (E.g., if it were up to
me, only DSA, ElG, AES, 3DES, SHA1 and SHA256 would be supported.)  Some
people reduce their advertised capabilities in order to encourage moving
to a smaller algorithm set.

> If I do not specify a personal-cipher-preference or cipher-algo within
> the gpg.conf file, 3DES will always be chosen as the cipher algorithm?

Beats me.  I haven't looked at the source in a while.