Unicode filename support on Windows

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Sep 17 15:54:29 CEST 2008

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 14:47, robert.vanyi at gmail.com said:

> The Japanese string in the filename contains three characters:
> katakana TE (U+30C6)
> katakana SU (U+30B9)
> katakana TO (U+30C8)
> from this page: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%86%E3%82%B9%E3%83%88

I am not an expert for Windows character set encodings, but is seems that
you use the UTF-8 encoding whereas Windows uses UTF-16 encoding.

GnuPG does nothing special with the filenames, it takes them as they are
and passes them verbatim to the Windows system fucntion for file
handling and console output.  I don't know wether tehre is a way to pput
the Windows shell in an UTF-8 mode.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner

--