GnuPG Defaults

vedaal at hush.com vedaal at hush.com
Wed Sep 17 16:16:06 CEST 2008

Kevin Hilton kevhilton at gmail.com wrtoe on
Wed Sep 17 07:41:16 CEST 2008 :

>If I do not specify a personal-cipher-preference
>or cipher-algo within the gpg.conf file,
>3DES will always be chosen as the cipher algorithm?

no

for ?? historical reasons of compatibility ?? with pgp 5+
the default cipher that will be used for encryption, and also for
protection of the secret key, is CAST-5, not 3DES

you were quite correct in your earlier post, in your understanding
that 3DES is only an 'implementation' default, meaning that in
order to be open pgp compliant, it 'must' be included as a cipher,
even if no other ciphers are

another things that affects how gnupg chooses a cipher is
the option of;

s2k-cipher-algo ciphername

(by default, if this option is not used, gnupg uses CAST-5 for
symmetrical ciphers when no key is specified)

vedaal

any ads or links below this message are added by hushmail without
my endorsement or awareness of the nature of the link

--
Click here for great computer networking solutions!
http://tagline.hushmail.com/fc/Ioyw6h4fM6mlVMFxTUgurHR7YuVJJ5JCngkiB9TyqrCBaciWWXbNkr/