Session Key Questions

vedaal at hush.com vedaal at hush.com
Wed Sep 17 19:45:05 CEST 2008

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com wrote on
Wed Sep 17 18:21:42 CEST 2008 :

>I think you're confusing the notion of the "default" algorithm with
>the "preferred" algorithm.  The default algorithm in OpenPGP is
3DES.

why then, if there are no preferences used,
or listed in the gpg.conf file,
does gnupg use CAST-5 instead of 3DES 'by default' for symmetric
encryption when no key is used.

=====[example]=====
c:\gnupg>gpg -c c:\t.txt
gpg: using cipher CAST5
gpg: writing to `c:\t.txt.gpg'
=====[example]=====

also,
by when gnupg generates a new key, even though the top of the key's
preferences is AES, the cipher which protects the secret key, is
still CAST-5 and not 3DES

theoretically,
if there were a new minimalist 'open pgp implementation' that used
only 3DES as its encryption algorithm, and gnupg send a
symmetrically encypted message,
then 'by gnupg default settings' it would be incompatible.

(some people actually do send conventionally encrypted messages to
users they know personally, ;-)

e.g.
"great to hear that you're using an open-pgp program,
i'll be sending you my public key in an encrypted message that only
needs a passphrase,
i wrote it down for you, here,
then send me a reply that is encrypted to my key"

theoretically, also
if someone wanted to use this new program that had only 3DES, and
tried to import a keypair made with the default setting in gnupg,
it wouldn't be usable, because the secret key is, 'by default'
protected with CAST-5, not 3DES

vedaal

any ads or links below this message are added by hushmail without
my endorsement or awareness of the nature of the link

--
Cut strokes from your golf game. Click here to learn how to improve your swing.
http://tagline.hushmail.com/fc/Ioyw6h4dqsuMNEpBOQi2OQXf1pnUxciPh4GA6nP0WmjxQypzg97CAv/