Changing preferences

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Thu Sep 18 06:33:38 CEST 2008

On Sep 17, 2008, at 6:24 PM, Robert J. Hansen wrote:

>> When I use showpref command, the cypher algorithms are shown in the
>> right order according to gpg.conf, but the digest order is not in the
>> right order...
>
> 'showpref' is horribly misnamed.  You are advertising your
> cryptographic
> capabilities far more than you are specifying a preference in
> algorithms.

I disagree with this.  The preference system is for preferences, not
capabilities.  Most installations are capable of using many more
algorithms than are present in the preference list (GPG is capable of
using Blowfish and Twofish, but doesn't list them by default).  The
point of the list is to indicate the algorithm that the user prefers,
in the order that the user prefers.  There is an assumption that a
user won't prefer an algorithm that they are not capable of, but that
is reasonable: most users prefer to be able to read their incoming
messages.

David