Export secret key from WinXP (GnuPG) 1.4.7 to AIX PGP Version 6.5.8 gives Bad Pass Phrase

vedaal at hush.com vedaal at hush.com
Thu Sep 18 20:40:41 CEST 2008

rlively 72ceot902 at sneakemail.com wrote
Thu Sep 18 20:01:00 CEST 2008 on :

contact with legacy v3 key wrote:

>> we use McAfee e-Business Server v7.5 on our OS/390
>> mainframe as well as McAfee e-Business v8.x on Windows
>> as well as GnuPG (gpg) with IDEA support DLL.
>> I was able to decrypt your message
>> (encrypted with our legacy IDEA key).

>So it seems to work, but I do have this concern:
>is it possible that since
>they tested it on Windows with GnuPG
>and not on their e-Business server on
>the mainframe and that the real file will fail
>when their mainframe attempts
>to decrypt it?

no,
ANY pgp version on any platform will be able to decrypt a 3DES
message to any key

> I sent this reply to get that extra test done:

> Is it possible to transfer the file to your mainframe
> to see if e-Business server can decrypt it as well?
> We do not have the IDEA support DLL, which
> means that the message was encrypted using 3DES instead of IDEA,

they will easily be able to decrypt it

and,
as long as you have a GnuPG generated key,
you will be able to decrypt whatever they send to you,
on whatever system and pgp program they use

>What is mdc method 0?

mdc == Modification Detection Code
(the plaintext is hashed before being encrypted,
and a packet with this hash is added to the pgp message)

method 0  means none was used

see http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4880#section-13.11
section 5.13

it was designed well after pgp 7x
and wouldn't be used by pgp

not having it,
doesn't interefere with encryption or decryption
(only having it,
and having it with an 'error' means something ;-) )

vedaal

any ads or links below this message are added by hushmail without
my endorsement or awareness of the nature of the link

--
Self Storage Options - Click Here.
http://tagline.hushmail.com/fc/Ioyw6h4eNgRTiZgxmzJVE4SXshdaeya9MQrSkdLiBsx7RtnfDfiA4f/