Changing preferences

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Mon Sep 22 05:57:38 CEST 2008

David Shaw wrote:
> If someone wants to know how to set their preference list, they're not
> trying for new and fun ways to violate the spec.

No, but they may be operating on the assumption their preference list
matters.  (Which it very often doesn't; encrypting-to-self and another
recipient means there's a 50/50 chance their preference list will be
treated as a cap set.  It would appear this ought to be made clear in
the docs.)

GnuPG's preference lists are arcane and counterintuitive, and the source
of a great deal of frustration.  If it would help to get some
documentation written outlining precisely how it works and why, I would
be happy to stop the bikeshedding and actually write it up.