gpg: fatal: can't create directory `~/.gnupg': A file or directory in the path name does not exist

Shamim Shamimuddin shamim.shamimuddin.mpmt at statefarm.com
Fri Sep 19 19:01:09 CEST 2008

Gpg Gurus,

We are currently experiencing some problems when importing a public key.

We are running gpg import as root on an AIX-5.3 Technology Level 8 Unix
server. Any inputs would really be appreciated.

Are there any environment variables that gpg import need for it to work?

Here is the error we get during the import process.

# gpg --import /var/temp/keysname
gpg: using character set `iso-8859-1'
gpg: WARNING: using insecure memory!
gpg: please see http://www.gnupg.org/faq.html for more information
gpg: fatal: can't create directory `~/.gnupg': A file or directory in
the path name does not exist.
secmem usage: 0/0 bytes in 0/0 blocks of pool 0/32768

After executing the command we get a return code of 2.

Please cc myself on your response as I am have not subscribed to the
mailing list.