Changing preferences

Kevin Hilton kevhilton at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 16:36:27 CEST 2008

> Purely historical reasons.  Also, the SERPENT design team, much like the
> Twofish design team, is strongly pushing abandoning the AES also-rans
> and using AES.

What's the motivation for abandoning the AES also-rans?  I can see the
motivation for not including them in the OpenGPG specification,
however wouldn't it be a mistake to move toward one algorithm (or two
in the case of AES and 3DES)?  I guess I'm just confused how
critically evaluated algorithms (as per the AES competition), such as
Serpent and Twofish, are moving towards the opinion of being
abandoned, whereby Camellia is moving towards adoption by the OpenGPG
committee.  On the surface, there seems to be a lot of double-talk
regarding the abandonment/ or reasons for not adopting some
algorithms, but on the other hand using similar rationale to except
other algorithms.

Since I don't really understand the process of cryptography other than
on the surface, I could be mistaken.  However on the surface --
mathematics removed -- these decisions seem to be more political than
based on proven concept.

--
Kevin Hilton