Caret in passphrase

Joe Korn joekorn at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 21:56:52 CEST 2008

Hello All,

I was wondering if someone could help me with an issue I'm having. I
have created my gpg key and passphrase and they work fine until I try
to decrypt a file programmaticaly.  My passphrase contains a caret (^)
which is an escape character in DOS.  If I use the following code to
try to decrypt a file, I get a bad passphrase error.

echo "B!g C^t"| gpg --passphrase -fd 0 --decrypt-files "c:\somefile.gpg"

Any thoughts on how I can successfully echo the passphrase?  I don't
want to use a file and type the results.  Our goal is to use the echo
command.

Thanks