EGD vs /dev/*random as a source of entropy

TuskenTower tuskentower at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 23:21:28 CEST 2009

We have a bit of a quandary on our Debian 5 (aka Lenny) test servers.
We run an automated test system that frequently bogs down with "Not
enough random bytes available" when a test generates a key to test
some encryption feature.  Since each test is meant to run in a
standalone fashion, we end up generating keys a lot.

When I "cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail", it consistently
shows a small amount of entropy.  Does anyone know if EGD will help on
what is essentially a test server on which people don't do much
interactive work?

thanks,
Amul