Keyserver doesn't honour removed signatures

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Wed Apr 15 19:47:40 CEST 2009

On Apr 15, 2009, at 1:16 PM, Werner Koch wrote:

>> from whichever keyserver they like (or run their own keyserver and
>> get
>> content synced to them on a regular basis).
>
> An easy countermeasure would be to limit the size of the meta data
> (user
> IDs, attribute id, notations and so).  Well, until people start to
> chop
> this data up into several signatures.  Anyway, I don't think that the
> keyserver network has the capacity to work as a content delivery
> services.  P2P is a far easier system for that.  Of course, the
> keyservers could than act as a directory service ...

The difference is that the keyserver network allows anyone to submit
data, and the keyserver net will then serve it on their behalf.  It's
like a publicly writable web site with multiple replicas and with no
ability to delete.  In the P2P case, only those people who choose to
participate in a given shared item are involved in the distribution of
that item (legal and illegal content can be processed at the same
time, and each participant gets to pick what they want to do).  The
keyserver net, as currently implemented, carries everything regardless
of the desires of the operator of the server.

David