Keyserver doesn't honour removed signatures

Matthias Mansfeld m.mansfeld at mansfeld-elektronik.de
Wed Apr 15 18:55:44 CEST 2009

On 15 Apr 2009 at 12:25, Faramir wrote:

> Chris Hills escribió:
>
> > Hypothetically, if a key is signed using another key which contains
> > a jpg image of something illegal in the keyserver's location, what
> > then? It would seem to me that the only option would be to remove
> > the keyserver from the keyserver network.
>
>   Even worst, because the servers usually (there are exceptions)
>   "talk"
> to each other, and propagate the new keys, so every server in that
> network will have that illegal jpg image.
>
>    Anyway, I think the owner of the key signed by another key which
> containst an illegal picture, would be safe, because he/she can't
> prevent people from signing his/her key.

Outch. I'm not convinced at all that lawyers and judges are always
willing to understand that. See some decisions concerning liability
for links to links to links. And we have here politicians who don't
know what a browser is and who say "Oh, internet, yes, I know, I let
my staff print out the internet for me everyday". :-\

> The ones in problems would be the keyservers themselves, and the
> admins and owners of these keyservers, and the owner of the key
> with the illegal picture (who probably lives in a place where he is
> safe). I suppose that could lead to litigation, but I don't know
> anything about legal stuff.

Best regards
Matthias