GPG executable for Unix/Apache ?

Jan Banan viceversasport at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 12:02:29 CEST 2009

Hi,

I am completely new to encryption as well as Unix-server programs etc. I am
trying to set up a form on a webpage that should be encrypted when the data
is sent to me. I have found a freeware package from VerySimple which is
called simplesecure 3.33 (http://www.verysimple.com/products.page) and it
looks excactly what I need it to be. I have installed it on my hosting
server and started configuring it, but when it comes to the part of
specifying the path to the GPG executable I realize that I have no such
file.

I quote from the installation instructions:

> *"**Step Three: Configure GPG/PGP Path:**
> *

*
*

*(This step is only necessary if you plan to use the encryption features of
SimpleSecure)**
*

*
*

*The "Encrypting Settings" tab of the System Settings page contains fields
for PGP and GPG (see screenshot).**
*

*
*

*GPG & PGP Executable paths should be something like "/usr/bin/pgp" or
"/usr/bin/gpg". If your site is hosted on a Windows server, The path may be
something like "C:/Program Files/PGP/pgp.exe" (In the case of Windows
servers, leave the quotes around the path).**
*

*
*

*The Keyring path can be configured in two ways.**
*

*
*

*A. (recommended). Specify the full path to th e ~/cgi-bin/ssecure/keys
directory. (for example
"/usr/www/public_html/myaccount/cgi-bin/ssecure/keys") Use the same value
for both GPG and PGP keyring path.**
*

*
*

*B. (advanced). If you already have a location where you store GPG/PGP
keyrings, you may specify the full path here. (for example
"/usr/home/myaccount/.pgp"). If you decide to configure the path this way,
you must also allow world-read access to your keyring folder.**
*

*
*

*SimpleSecure is now configured and ready to test...**
*

*"*

I presume I have to download it from GnuPG. But since I have no experience
with Unix software I have no clue what to download and how to tell if it is
an executable.

Can someone help me and give me a few pointers, please. If I know I am on
the right road I can usually find my way by myself, but here I am a bit lost
in the forest.

The server is running Apache version 2.2.11 (Unix).

Thanks!

/peter