Keyserver doesn't honour removed signatures

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Tue Apr 21 03:43:06 CEST 2009

On Apr 16, 2009, at 1:12 PM, Robert J. Hansen wrote:

> Add it all together and USENET was at best a network-choking
> bandwidth hog, and at worst was a lawsuit waiting to happen.  And
> thus, many full USENET feeds fell off the face of the net.
>
> It might be worth wondering whether the same could happen to the
> keyserver network.  It seems less likely, due to how difficult it
> would be to share large files that way -- but the possibility should
> be considered.

I suspect that many keyservers are run at sites that are happy enough
to leave them running as long as they don't cause trouble of one sort
or another.  A concerted effort by someone to annoy and inconvenience
those sites (via uploading porn? via something else?) would rather
quickly reduce the number of keyservers.  Not to zero, but we could
lose a good number of them.

David