Further thoughts on Windows Install

david david at gbenet.com
Thu Apr 23 11:21:05 CEST 2009

Hi All,

that a back up export utility would be a good idea - one that selected
all the files required. Changing file formats perhaps complicates the
issue of export/import between operating systems - microsoft bringing
out "new" versions (if that made a difference?) of it's operating system/s.

A platform independent set of data files means no matter what o/s you
choose one can switch between and share data. Core data formats could
change for improved security - whatever as long as o/s independent.

I'm not a developer :) just another end user!

Regards,

David

Werner Koch wrote:
>> Yes, that's true.  However, this could lead to problems if some day
>> the format of GnuPG's keyring files should change, and especially
>> if it should change in some architecture-specific way.
>
> The latter won't ever happen.  All file formats used by GnuPG are
> platform neutral; i.e. we use well defined lengths for all integers,
> utf-8 for string encoding and network byte ordering.
>
>> the same architecture.  Well, of course, it would be a pain if
>> a future GnuPG version would not be able to read the current version's
>> files, but it *could* happen one day.  Of course, I'm NOT speaking
>
> The time required to write and test the migration code is actually the
> reason why we are still using the old format ;-).
>
>>   gpg --export --armor > pubkeys.txt
>>   gpg --export-secret-keys --armor > seckeys.txt
>>   gpg --export-ownertrust > ownertrust.txt
>
> You also better backup the config giles, whoever, they might need
> adjustments if gpg is installed somewhere else.  The option --armor is
> not required but might be helpful in case the files are transported via
> FTP and and one forgets to use switch to binary mode.
>
>> Still, for the present, all keyrings on all versions of GnuPG seem
>> to be compatible, so, *for the present*, it is easier to just copy
>> the files over.  The whole point is, that's not guaranteed to work
>> forever :)
>
> Exactly.
>
> The whole discussion makes me think about a backup and restore tool.
> This would in particular be useful for GnuPG-2, which requires a couple
> files more to be backed up.
>

> Salam-Shalom,
>
>    Werner

- --
Confidentiality Statement

Wisdom is knowing what to do with what you know. This message and any
attachments are solely for the intended recipient and may contain
recipient, any disclosure, copying, use, or distribution of the
information included in this message and any attachments is prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error email
postmaster at gbenet.com. Thank you.