DH/DSS vs ElGame/DSS?

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Fri Apr 24 18:29:37 CEST 2009

David Shaw wrote:
> The patent holders (Cylink) simply wanted to push the name
> Diffie-Hellman for marketing reasons.

Many people think Cylink has a history of regrettably close cooperation
with the NSA.  Some people consider their products to be suspect as a
result of this.  Given that, it should be pointed out that PGP
Corporation was licensing the algorithm, not the implementation.  PGP
and GnuPG both use their own independent implementations of the algorithm.

I'm not sure how much faith I put in the Cylink/NSA connection, but I
know that some do.  If you're one of them, you can rest easy.  :)