Help with encrypting using my PGP Public key

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Sat Apr 25 17:50:29 CEST 2009

On Apr 24, 2009, at 3:07 PM, David Shaw wrote:

> On Apr 24, 2009, at 12:40 PM, bkumfer wrote:
>

>> Thanks for your help.  To create the key, I followed the
>>
>> --gpg -gen-key command - used key length of 1024 bits.
>
> I examined this key and there is nothing particularly unusual about
> it.   The only thing that jumps out (and this is a reach) is that
> the Elgamal encryption subkey is rather small.  It's possible
> (though odd) that the bank is configured to disallow keys of that
> size.  If it is easy for you to try different keys with the bank,
> try making and submiting one with a 2048 bit subkey (i.e. gpg --gen-
> key, select option 1, then enter 2048).
>
> I'll check it against the PGP command line product later (the
> virtual machine it runs on is not powered on right now).

I've checked it and it works just fine.  I'm able to encrypt to it
without any problems.

I'm afraid that doesn't leave you with a good answer, though.  I don't
think it will help, but it's worth trying making a larger key, as I
suggest above.  Aside from that, your bank or whoever you are
communicating with needs to give you some more information about why
this is failing.

David