Complile problem on Unixware 7.1.4 gpg-1.4.9

Morten Gulbrandsen classpath at arcor.de
Thu Aug 6 19:36:08 CEST 2009

ishe.mudzingwa at barclays.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to run make on Unixware 7.1.4 and failing here is the error.
>
> Making all in mpi
>         cc -E -I.. -I../include -DHAVE_CONFIG_H mpih-mul1.S | grep -v '^#' >
> _mp
> ih-mul1.s
>         cc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I.. -I../include     -g   -c
> _mpih-mul1.s
> UX:as: ERROR: _mpih-mul1.s:17:unknown directive: .
> UX:as: ERROR: _mpih-mul1.s:18:syntax error at integer constant: 1
> UX:as: ERROR: _mpih-mul1.s:19:syntax error at name: mpihelp_mul_1
> UX:as: ERROR: _mpih-mul1.s:22:invalid register token
> UX:as: ERROR: _mpih-mul1.s:23:invalid register token
> UX:as: ERROR: _mpih-mul1.s:24:invalid register token
>
> Can anyone help
>
> Thanks
>
> Ishe
>

> This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the addressee and may also be privileged or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the addressee, or have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately, delete it from your system and do not copy, disclose or otherwise act upon any part of this e-mail or its attachments.
>
> Internet communications are not guaranteed to be secure or virus-free.
> The Barclays Group does not accept responsibility for any loss arising from unauthorised access to, or interference with, any Internet communications by any third party, or from the transmission of any viruses. Replies to this e-mail may be monitored by the Barclays Group for operational or business reasons.
>
> Any opinion or other information in this e-mail or its attachments that does not relate to the business of the Barclays Group is personal to the sender and is not given or endorsed by the Barclays Group.
>
> Barclays Bank PLC.Registered in England and Wales (registered no. 1026167).
> Registered Office: 1 Churchill Place, London, E14 5HP, United Kingdom.
>
> Barclays Bank PLC is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

Dear Mr. Mudzingwa

Hi Sir! An interesting question,

UX:as: ERROR:

as  may be the assembler, on UNIX you have different tools from the open
source world than some of the proprietary ones.

bash-3.00$ which  as
/usr/bin/as

bash-3.00$ as -V
as: Sun Compiler Common 12 SunOS_i386 snv_64 04/30/2007

When you use gnu software you will need the gnu assembler

you can use gmake instead of make

when you invoke gmake you may specify which assembler you need

like this

gmake AS=gas  # on the invocation command line.

please read the man page of gmake and gas

www.gnu.org/software/make/

http://www.gnu.org/software/binutils/

    *  ld - the GNU linker.
    * as - the GNU assembler.

and you most likely also need the gnu c compiler.

 cc -E -I.. -I../include

looks like the native c compiler for your unix system.

For gnu software some gnu tools are necessary.

man gcc  man gmake  man gas will help.

This is for helping you compile GnuPG on SCO Unix,

===

One workaround would be to take  PGP for unix from here
http://www.pgpi.org/

the far better solution would be to go for debian linux or some higly
secure BSD flavour.

debian is here  debian.org

right out of the box paranoic security is offereed on the fly from

obenbsd.org

If you need professional unix support you may get it from sco,
but also IBM and Sun Microsystems as well as HP offers unix.

RedHat and Ubuintu Linux is offered with a support license, but it is so
well coded and easy to use that you most likely won't need any support
if you decide to take the RedHat, Suse or Ubuntu offer from sun.

If you are legally bound and enforced to run only unix certified
software, you can ask sco,  or investigate here:

http://www.unix.org/

The unix specification says, that  a set of software,  on a given set of
hardware for a certain period of time is UNIX. Add some extension card
and some minor software configuration then you have no more unix.

GnuPG is quite easy to run on any linux or BSD but needs troubleshooting
when porting to UNIX.

Not only Gnu  compiler tools may cause strange hicups and annoying
results, even simple commands like chmod  chown chgrp  are implemented
different on for example solaris than Linux.  however the manpages can
tell you more about this.

Since you ask on behalf of a bank which I happen to be customer of, it
is in my interest that you only accept OpenBSD for higest security.

That has proactive security and is easy as anything.

here we go:

http://www.openbsd.org/

Only two remote holes in the default install, in a heck of a long time!

The OpenBSD project produces a FREE, multi-platform 4.4BSD-based
UNIX-like operating system. Our efforts emphasize portability,
standardization, correctness, proactive security and integrated
cryptography.

http://www.openbsd.org/4.5_packages/sh/gnupg-1.4.9.tgz-long.html

Package Information for gnupg-1.4.9.tgz (sh)

you find more here

http://www.google.com/BSD
search for openbsd  gnupg 1.4.9

Gnu is ported to OpenBSD without the linux emulation sometimes otherwise
needed.

Also the command line options for the UNIX native C and C++  compilers
are different than what is Gnu Standard.

Sincerely yours,

Morten Gulbrandsen

主バイトホイットフィールド
Java programmer, C++ programmer
CAcert Assurer, GSWoT introducer, thawte Notary
Gossamer Spider Web of Trust http://www.gswot.org
Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail!