Two convicted in U.K. for refusal to decrypt data

Adam Funk a24061 at ducksburg.com
Thu Aug 13 21:44:16 CEST 2009

On 2009-08-13, David SMITH wrote:

> So the people who come on gnupg-users asking for help because they've
> forgotten their passphrase or accidentally deleted their ~/.gnupg
> directory don't exist?
>
> I guess that's a new way of replying to them: "You don't exist".
>
> Not forgetting the possibility of malicious intentions - trying to frame
> someone by putting encrypted data onto someone's computer and tipping
> off the authorities.

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/internet/0,1000000097,2073974,00.htm

   In a stunt organised by the civil liberties group Stand, The Home
   Secretary Jack Straw was sent details to a crime Sunday that could
   earn him up to two years in prison if the controversial e-commerce
   bill were made law.
   According to Stand an encrypted email was sent to Mr Straw Sunday
   afternoon containing a confession to a real crime. The key to
   decrypt the message will be in Mr Straw's name. Stand will tip off
   the Metropolitan Commissioner of Police Monday, informing him that
   Mr Straw has important information about a crime.

   If the e-commerce bill were in place, Straw would be required to
   hand over the decryption key or face up to two years in prison. "In
   principle, under the bill, Jack Straw would have to prove he never
   had the key in the first place. We are hoping this will help him
   understand that this is unworkable, an intolerable reversal of the
   burden of proof and against the Human Rights Act," Says Malcolm
   Hutty, spokesman for Stand.

(September 1999)