Transferring GnuPG accounts

Philipp Schafft lion at lion.leolix.org
Sat Aug 15 01:26:54 CEST 2009

reflum,

On Sun, 2009-08-09 at 17:15 +1200, Adam Bogacki wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 11:45:07PM -0400, David Shaw wrote:
> > On Aug 7, 2009, at 6:43 PM, Adam Bogacki wrote:
> >
> > >Hi, Having recently set up lenny on a new box, I copied
> > >the contents of ~/.gnupg from the old etch box to a
> > >USB stick and then to the lenny box - but find that
> > >mutt does not do digital signatures as it did on the old one.
> > >
> > >What am I missing here ?
> > >
> > >T2: ~/.gnupg# ls
> > >gpg.conf  pubring.gpg  pubring.gpg~  random_seed  secring.gpg
> > >trustdb.gpg
> >
> > To properly answer your question, you'd have to say what "does not do
> > digital signature as it did" means.
> >
> > Does it not work at all?  Does it work, but in an unexpected way?
> > What does it do?  There just isn't any information to go on here.
> >

> Thanks. Following another msg from is list, I removed 'random_seed'
> and tried sending a signed mutt mail.
>
> All seemed well until the final stage when I received the following
> error message...
>
> >gpg: no default secret key: secret key not available
> >gpg: signing failed: secret key not available
> >Press any key to continue...

let me guess: your USB stick is FAT formated?
maybe the access permittions of the files aren't as they should.

rename your .gnupg/ to something else, let's say .gnupg-old, then try:
gpg --import ~/.gnupg-old/pubring.gpg ~/.gnupg-old/secring.gpg
if you have a gpg.conf:
cp ~/.gnupg-old/gpg.conf ~/.gnupg/

--
Philipp.