Confused about signing inline vs siging with attached signature.

Erik Lotspeich erik at lotspeich.org
Fri Aug 21 17:01:56 CEST 2009

Hi Steven,

I use the OpenPGP method (inline signatures) instead of PGP/MIME
(detached signatures) for exactly this reason.  It seems to be a common
problem that Outlook Express has trouble processing PGP/MIME e-mails.

I only use PGP/MIME when I need to send the message encrypted and I need
to send encrypted file attachments that I haven't previously encrypted
independently of e-mail.

Basically, nobody should be using Outlook Express -- it is a horrible
e-mail program with dozens of design flaws.

I would recommend to your friend that he consider Office Outlook.
Office Outlook shares nothing with Outlook Express (except for the
"Outlook" name) and is tremendous improvement.  Maybe your friend would
consider Thunderbird with Enigmail?

Regards

Erik