Help with decrypting gpg file

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Aug 28 18:56:54 CEST 2009

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 23:17, JBetz at InFimark.com said:

> By the way, I did use your recommended command string and got the same
> result. I suspect there is some kind of option that is required so that gpg
> knows that the output file should be created as an archive type file.

No.  gpg does not know anything about the structure of the data to
encrypt.  It encrypts and later decrypts the data verbatim.  So your
problem must be somewhere else.

The above is not 100% correct: gpg looks into the data to see whether it
is a zip or bzip compressed file and in that case disables its own
(OpenPGP specified) compression.  That compression is also 100 %
transparent to the data; this feature is only used to save a bit of
processing time if data is already compressed.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner