Fwd: PGP encrypt/GnuPG decrypt problem

J Simoes one.jsim at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 22:21:21 CET 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: J Simoes <>
Date: Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 21:19
Subject: Re: PGP encrypt/GnuPG decrypt problem
To: baiju <>

As a measure of caution I always encrypt my backups with gnupg using
my public key. I have been doing that for ages. New public key every 5
years or so  (standard options, but a lot of bits in the keys)

Once in a while I decrypt a backup archive with the most recent "free
version" of PGP. Perhaps 1% of my backups are tested.

Never had a problem, I have to give it my private key, off-course, but
the programs figure out all the other needed information by itself .
Since my archives have CRC into them, and I use it to check the
integrity of my files, I am confident that I can recover my backups
with PGP only.

Just my 0.02 euro

Jose Simoes