Series of minor questions about OpenPGP 1

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Mon Feb 2 03:43:37 CET 2009

On Feb 1, 2009, at 8:28 PM, Peter Thomas wrote:

> On really last addition on this (promised :-) ):
> I tried to mix up keys with new and old packet header types.
> Is it desired that gnupg simply converts them back to old packet
> headers (if possible) without any notice to the user?

The packet header for any packet number less than 16 is utterly
irrelevant in every possible way.  GnuPG can change it to the new
format, the old format, or even mix the two in a pretty pattern.  And
without notifying the user.  Again, the packet header for any packet
number less than 16 is utterly irrelevant in every possible way

> What will keyservers do when someone uploads a key with e.g. old
> packet headers,... that's already there, but just with new packet
> headers?

The packet header for any packet number less than 16 is utterly
irrelevant in every possible way.  Keyservers can change it to the new
format, the old format, or even mix the two in a pretty pattern.  And
without notifying the user.  Again, the packet header for any packet
number less than 16 is utterly irrelevant in every possible way

David