Notations / PKA

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Mon Feb 2 15:49:44 CET 2009

On Feb 2, 2009, at 4:45 AM, Sven Radde wrote:

> Hi GnuPG-Users!
>
> Is there anywhere a list of notations that do currently have any
> kind of
> "canonical" meaning (or, rather, are interpreted by GnuPG and/or
> popular
> MUAs in any way)?
>
> I found out about "pka-adress at gnupg.org=..." and a quite old notation
> that tells the commercial PGP about PGP/MIME capabilities but that
> seems
> to be it.

Those are the only two real ones that I know of.  GPG interprets pka-
address, of couse, but it merely "knows about" preferred-email-encoding at pgp.com
  (i.e. GPG accepts it, but it is up to the MUA to act on it).

PKA information: http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-devel/2005-August/022254.html
preferred-email-encoding information: http://www.imc.org/ietf-openpgp/mail-archive/msg08704.html

In the "non-real" category, I've seen "comment" used, but that is an
illegal notation name (it lacks the @ and domain, and is not
registered with the IETF).

> PKA seems to be an interesting feature btw. Is it widely used?

That, I couldn't say.  It's been my experience that things involving
DNS and OpenPGP have not had particularly good adoption: not that many
people have access to their own DNS, and that acts as a barrier on top
of all the other usual OpenPGP barriers.

David