Need a command to suppress

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Sat Feb 7 16:34:34 CET 2009

On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 07:46:41AM -0700, Chris Babcock wrote:

> > It would help if you'd tell us why you want to suppress those 2 lines.
> >
> > > Add "'" | grep -v "Signature made" | grep -v "Good signature" "'" to
> > > the end of the command. Using "grep -v" inverts the match so only
> > > lines that do *not* contain the matching text are passed to stdout.
> > >
> > > Of course that's no help for Windows, but...
> >
> > It's also no help on other OS because those grep's would also
> > eliminate the two above lines.
>
> I think you missed the meaning of suppress and/or invert. Might be a
> language issue.
>
> Don't trust me. Test it on some text with a known good signature and
> fix the targets if you get any unwanted matches.

I think what Ingo meant was that these greps might do both more and
less than you actually intend them to.

More: if those grep's are done on the full output of, say, gpg --decrypt
or something similar, then they could also remove *actual text*, not just
gpg's status output.  This could be... well, let's just say "bad" :)

Less: have you actually bothered to check the result of either
"gpg --verify ... | grep -v" or "gpg --decrypt ... | grep -v" ?
In both cases, gpg sends the status information to the standard error
stream, NOT the standard output stream, so "grep" does, erm, nothing
with it :)

Both of those issues are addressed by Ingo's idea of using --status-fd
or, even better, --status-file instead.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam at ringlet.net    roam at space.bg    roam at FreeBSD.org
The rest of this sentence is written in Thailand, on