paperkey // ? feature request

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Wed Feb 11 03:51:15 CET 2009

David Shaw wrote:
> I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it a GUID as it is only
> unique relative to the vendor and device type

Must be my luck, then -- the ones I've looked at have all had per-device
serial #s.

> There is also no guarantee that the host computer will log the device
> serial number (modern Linux does, but you're more likely to find some
> flavor of Windows in an internet cafe).

Yes and no, I think.  E.g., China's internet cafes are being pressured
heavily to use the government-approved Red Flag Linux.  There's also
been talk in the press about the Russian government pressuring internet
cafes to give "more complete cooperation with law enforcement", which
sounds like it could cover a whole host of badness.  On the other hand,
you have the very lax regulatory situation of the United States, where
that sort of pre-existing relationship is hard to imagine.

> Do you have a cite on this recovery beyond that story?  I have not
> heard of such a thing, and Google came up blank.  I wonder if your
> sushi companion was pulling your leg.

I'll ask about it shortly.  It's possible I'll get an answer of "yes, I
was there, I saw it, and no, I can't talk about it," though, in which
case I can't fault anyone for incredulity.