paperkey // ? feature request

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Wed Feb 11 06:49:56 CET 2009

Faramir wrote:
> Right, but if I understood it well, he had done more than 700 calls
> from a rechargeable prepaid card... that is not a disposable card.

That wasn't his problem.  That was, honestly, mostly irrelevant.

This was his problem: when you're trying to cover your tracks, there are
literally hundreds, if not thousands, of ways you can screw up.  You
have to cover up all of them.  The people hunting you only have to
uncover one.

McVeigh was also undone by the Ryder truck itself.  He thought the truck
would be destroyed in the explosion and not provide any links to him.
Within hours of the blast, though, they found one of the truck's
axles... and it still had a serial number legible on it.  They called
the axle manufacturer and found out what that axle had been put on; they
called up that truck's VIN number and tracked to whom it had been sold.
 Within a day they were serving the rental facility with a ton of
subpoenas and FBI forensic accountants.

If it hadn't been the phone card, it would've been the axle.  If it
hadn't have been the axle, it would've been the enormous ammonium
nitrate purchases he made.  If it hadn't have been the enormous ammonium
nitrate purchases, then the police would've followed up on a neighbor's
complaint about an awful diesel stink by Terry Nichols' home.  If it
hadn't... etc., etc.

There's a lesson in this for anyone who's thinking of ways to be one
step ahead of the secret police.  You'll get tripped up by things you
never thought of, or things you wrote off as being impossible.