Hibernation and secret keys

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Feb 11 22:37:43 CET 2009

On Wednesday 11 February 2009, David Shaw wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 12:59:48PM +0100, Christoph Anton Mitterer
wrote:
> > A good workaround is to use disk encryption (dm-crypt or similar
> > things).
>
> Encrypted disks don't help without serious OS support around suspend.

Obviously.

> Your machine suspends, and writes a snapshot of its memory to disk.
> Sure, let's say it's even encrypted.  When you wake the machine, is
> the encrypted disk still mounted?

Obviously not.

Usually your messages are very helpful. Unfortunately, this particular
message is the exact opposite. Googling for "encryption suspend to disk
linux" I found many websites explaining how this works with most common
distributions (mostly out-of-the box, i.e. without compiling a kernel).

Regards,
Ingo