Importing RSA Private Keys into GPG 2.0.10

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Feb 13 11:18:33 CET 2009

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 21:48, amrobinson at gmail.com said:

> I'm trying to find a method to import an RSA Private Key into GPG,
> i've already god a generated RSA Private Key but when ever I try the
> import I get:
> gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.

What kind of private key is that?  Obviously gpg expects an OpenPGP
formated private key.

If you try to import a pkcs#12 encoded key, chances are high that you
try to import a key from or with an X.509 certificate.  gpg's cousin
gpgsm works with X.509 certificates and you import a pkcs#12 private key
as you would expect:

  gpgsm --import foo.p12

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner