How secure asymmetric encryption to yourself?

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Tue Feb 17 17:43:37 CET 2009

On Feb 17, 2009, at 10:15 AM, Chris Poole wrote:

> Hi,
> I am using GnuPG to encrypt a plain text file of my passwords.
>
> How secure is it to use my own public key as the encryption method
> (rather than symmetric), given that the password file is stored on
> the same drive as my public and private keys?

Let me make sure I understand the question - you are storing the
(encrypted) password file on the same drive as your public and secret
keys and you want to know if it makes a difference whether you you use
public key or symmetric encryption for encrypting that password file?

No, it doesn't matter either way.

If you use symmetric encryption, you are relying on a passphrase to
keep your encrypted password file safe.  If you use public key
(asymmetric) encryption, you are relying on your secret key to keep
your encrypted password file safe.... but you are relying on a
passphrase to keep your secret key safe.  Either way, you have a
passphrase to protect.

David