future proof file encryption

peter p at sabuleti.net
Fri Feb 27 12:04:00 CET 2009

Thanks for all your responses - and the speed of them.

The shoe  box works fine for my pre-digital snaps - not so good for the
post digital ones! Currently, I dump my camera into my computer, sort
out the interesting images, archive them and dump the archive into
Amazon's S3. Then I feel safe from my own stupidity, hardware failures
or whatever - I can always get back to the image as it came out of the
camera. I'm going to add encryption using GPG to the mix.

I don't expect to fully understand cryptography - but I should have an
"operational" understanding. I feel a bit closer to that. Is it true to
say then, that if you wanted someone to be able to decrypt a
(symmetrically encrypted) file, they'd need to know the algorithm used,
the key and they'd also have to use the same program to decrypt as used
to encrypt the file?

Thanks again