future proof file encryption

vedaal at hush.com vedaal at hush.com
Fri Feb 27 16:06:35 CET 2009

Sven Radde email at sven-radde.de
wrote on Fri Feb 27 14:55:39 CET 2009 :

>When using encrypted backups, 100% data integrity plays a much
greater
>role than when just storing unencrypted data.

for really long term encryption,
would guess that it is more likely that there would be a problem
with the durability of the storage medium,
than with the availability of gnupg and the platforms and hardware
to run it ;-)

fwiw,
my $0.02 suggestion :

[1] armor encrypt the files so that it can be published in text form

[2] hash the final encrypted .asc text with 2 (or as many more as
you wish) different hash algorithms, and append the hashes, also in
text form, to the end of the encrypted .asc text

[3] put the whole thing on microfilm
(don't know which specific type of microfilm. but this can be
researched by finding out which ones are most preferred by
libraries, museums, govt. archivals,  etc.)

[4] retrieve it from the microfilm and check that the hashes verify
and that the file decrypts

[5] (weakest point of this scheme ;-) )
make sure your really secure passphrase is somehow remembered in
the future when it is time to decrypt ... ;-))

vedaal

any ads or links below this message are added by hushmail without
my endorsement or awareness of the nature of the link

--
Become a Medical Transcriptionist. Click here to find schedules designed to fit your life.
 http://tagline.hushmail.com/fc/BLSrjkqfMmfY78QCiStowDKIGBJhRTxgAJUymH13l1pdyqILz0dL2ERXhK4/