future proof file encryption

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Fri Feb 27 17:25:56 CET 2009

Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> With a 256-bit cipher, if you're missing 3 bits, there are only eight
> possible keys.  This is not an obstacle.

After a little thought, it occurred to me that perhaps Sven meant there
are three errors and it's not known where.  This turns into a slightly
more complex case, but still within the realm of possibility: just over
twenty-two million possible combinations (2.7 million combinations, with
each set of three bits possessing eight possible states).