Hard Drive Prices...

Christopher J. Walters cwal989 at comcast.net
Sat Feb 28 15:16:22 CET 2009

Just an FYI for the interested.  You can get USB/Firewire external hard disk
drives for between $60 and $90 US depending on where you go.  You can get
internal ones (EIDE or SATA) for $30 and up (I found a 500 GB HDD for $75 with
less than 2 minutes of searching online).  You can buy a case or converter to
use your internal HDD with USB or Firewire (this would make them cheaper).

I saw some nice RAID arrays for $300 and up, but no real hard disk drives.  The
cost would really depend on your storage needs (the fewer the GB and RPM, the
lower the price).  If you follow Werner's advice, you could reasonably store
that data on a thumb drive (or several of them, if you are paranoid).

C.

PS:  I still recommend at least one for backup, because hard disk drives can
crash - I had it happen to me, and both times it happened in less than 2 years.