Paperkey on windows

Charly Avital shavital at mac.com
Sat Jan 10 07:22:01 CET 2009

David Shaw wrote the following on 1/9/09 8:15 PM:
[...]

> It is absolutely ok and encouraged to send paperkey to whoever wants
> it.  There are various ways to comply with the license (the GPL), but
> one easy way is to do what you suggest and send a copy of the source
> along with the binary.
>
> In terms of trusting - well, that's up to you.  Windows users tend to
> have to trust the people who compile things for them.
>
> For what it's worth, I can probably release a Windows binary with the
> next release of paperkey, which means it'll be signed by the same key
> that signs the source tarball.  John, did you have to do anything
> special to get it to build (is this mingw or something else?)
>
> David

Hi David,

A couple of days ago, I compiled the source code (with the flags
indicated in your paperkey homepage), for a MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo
running MacOSX 10.5.6 (code named Leopard). I passed on the compiling
information to other Mac Users.

I used the flags you indicated for a universal binary:
./configure CFLAGS="-arch ppc -arch i386" --disable-dependency-tracking

I took into consideration that "The additional isysroot is not necessary
on Intel Tiger boxes, or any Leopard (or later) boxes."

Questions:
- - which should be the required flags for an Intel Core 2 Duo processor,
only?
- - ditto for Linux Ubuntu 8.10_64-bits?

Now I have:
$ paperkey --version
paperkey 0.8
Copyright (C) 2007, 2008 David Shaw
This is free software.  You may redistribute copies of it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.

$ man paperkey and $ paperkey --help generated the expected outputs.

Question: could you please point me to the path to the man file
PAPERKEY(1)? I was unable to find it, but then, I am not very
knowledgeable with Unix and CLIs.

Using:
gpg --export-secret-key my-key | paperkey --output my-key-text-file.txt

a text file was generated at root level. For information, I quote the
first 18 lines:

# Secret portions of key [mysecretkey fingerprint]
# Base 16 data extracted Sat Jan 10 01:02:04 2009
# Created with paperkey 0.8 by David Shaw

# File format:
# a) 1 octet:  version of the paperkey format (currently 0).
# b) 1 octet:  OpenPGP key version (currently 4)
# c) n octets: Key fingerprint (20 octets for a version 4 key)
# d) 2 octets: 16-bit length of the following secret data
# e) n octets: secret data: an OpenPGP secret key or subkey as specified in
#              RFC-4880, starting with the string-to-key usage octet and
#              continuing until the end of the packet.
# Repeat fields b through e as needed to cover all subkeys.
# To recover, use the fingerprint to match an existing public key with the
# corresponding secret data, then append field e to the public key to
# create a secret key.
# Each base 16 line ends with a CRC-24 of that line.
# The entire block of data ends with a CRC-24 of the entire block of data.

- -
Thank you David, for paperkey.
Charly

MacOS 10.5.6 - MacBook Intel C2Duo "Aluminum Late 2008"- GnuPG 1.4.9 -
GPG2 2.0.10rc1 - Thunderbird 2.0.0.18 - Enigmail 0.95.7 (Testing TB
3.0b1+EM 0.96a)- Apple's Mail+GPGMail 1.2.0 (v56)
PGP key: 0xA57A8EFA