Paperkey on windows

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Sat Jan 10 15:54:34 CET 2009

On Jan 10, 2009, at 1:22 AM, Charly Avital wrote:

> A couple of days ago, I compiled the source code (with the flags
> indicated in your paperkey homepage), for a MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo
> running MacOSX 10.5.6 (code named Leopard). I passed on the compiling
> information to other Mac Users.
>
> I used the flags you indicated for a universal binary:
> ./configure CFLAGS="-arch ppc -arch i386" --disable-dependency-
> tracking

A universal binary will run on both a PowerPC and Intel Mac.  Unless
you are using the same binary on both Macs (i.e. if you have multiple
Macs with different processors or are distributing binaries to people
who have PowerPC boxes), there is little point to doing this.  Just do
plain ./configure and let it figure out what options to use.

> Questions:
> - - which should be the required flags for an Intel Core 2 Duo
> processor,
> only?

None.  ./configure does all the magic for you.

> - - ditto for Linux Ubuntu 8.10_64-bits?

Same here.

As a general rule (for paperkey and really most programs), you just
build with ./configure and nothing else unless you are doing something
unusual or special.

> Now I have:
> $ paperkey --version
> paperkey 0.8
> Copyright (C) 2007, 2008 David Shaw
> This is free software.  You may redistribute copies of it under the
> terms of
> the GNU General Public License <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.
> There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
>
> $ man paperkey and $ paperkey --help generated the expected outputs.
>
> Question: could you please point me to the path to the man file
> PAPERKEY(1)? I was unable to find it, but then, I am not very
> knowledgeable with Unix and CLIs.

It's probably in /usr/local/share/man/man1/paperkey.1, but that
doesn't matter unless you want to read the raw nroff manual file.
Just do "man paperkey" and let the machine do the work for you.

David