Dan Brown - Digital Fortress book

markus reichelt ml at mareichelt.de
Thu Jan 15 14:21:12 CET 2009

* "Robert J. Hansen" <rjh at sixdemonbag.org> wrote:

> When Freon catches fire it decomposes into phosgene, a nerve gas,
> which makes it kind of hard to fight the fire.  In the book, a fire
> ravages the datacenter and yet somehow people in it aren't dead
> from phosgene exposure.

Phosgene is not a nerve gas, it is "just" a pulmonary agent. Deadly
doses are higher and death is painful and slow (within 24-48 hours).

Not all Freon would be converted into Phosgene and I'd guess the
firefighters wore gas masks thus limiting the exposure (they know
about the Freon?)

Anyway, enough nitpicking (and I haven't even read the book ;-)

--
left blank, right bald