End of Line characters disappear after decryption

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Fri Jan 16 22:50:20 CET 2009

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 11:41:11AM -0800, Rob Desjarlais wrote:

> When I decrypt a file using GPG 1.4.9, the file decrypts just fine,
> but all the formatting is lost.  Key thing that is missing is the
> End of Line characters. Any suggestions?

This is almost a FAQ.  Most likely there is a textmode mismatch
between the encrypting side and decrypting side.

The issue is that different platforms handle text files in different
ways.  If you tell GPG to, it will resolve out these differences for
you, but some applications need their particular line endings
regardless of the platform.

Can you give us the details on how the file was encrypted?  Was it
encrypted with GPG or PGP?  The encrypting command line would be the
most useful thing here.  Also, please state the platforms (i.e. Unix,
Windows, etc) that you are encrypting and decrypting on.

David